Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We made it!

So we fired up the flux capacitor (if you don't know what I am talking about, just give a slight chuckle and keep reading) and zoomed 13 hours ahead of most of you. Our flights were good- we were delayed in Newark for an hour (after already waiting in the airport since 4:30 am) and missed our connection in San Fran to Tokyo. But, we were automatically rebooked on a flight two hours later- just enough time for us to purchase 2 sandwiches and a bag of chips for $25! No upgradges available (too scared to pull the fake honeymoon thing) but on both of our flights we had an empty seat next to us!

Then we got to Tokyo. Before we even left customs I got in trouble for taking pictures. Of course, I didn't know that I was in customs still- not my fault! A nice hour long train ride into the city- A great sight-seeing opportunity except we both dozed off. Tokyo was surprisingly 'familiar' when we were first walking around. There is a Starbucks here of course- they sell a Coffee Jelly Frappuccino that I am not too sure about but will probably try before I leave. Carrie did a great job of navigating us to our hotel and we took much needed showers. Then off to dinner.

Hmm. Dinner. This is when Tokyo got a little unfamiliar. We were directed by our hotel to a conveyor belt-style sushi place that hardly had an english menu (and no English speaking staff). Being sushi experts, we knew what 30% of the sushi plates that came around were. When we first sat, after identifying where the chop sticks, ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi were located, we proceeded to get our meal ready. We mixed the wasabi in with the soy sauce (the wasabi was a weird powdery version), and got eatin'. Half way thru the meal we got thirsty (it is hard to order drinks if no one knows what you are saying). We looked around, and saw someone put the wasabi in a cup and fill it with hot water. Hmm. Strange. They don't do that at Momo's in Alexandria. We exchanged strange looks with each other, and I muttered under my breath that I think we put green tea powder in our soy sauce. But what if I was wrong. Did I really want wasabi flavored tea? Carrie tried it. Tea. Not wasabi. A little bit embarrased. But, green tea soy sauce is good. Really good.

Now we are back at the hotel. No late night tonight. Some residual motion sickness and extreme tiredness. Fish market tomorrow. More sushi. Mmm.


  1. Yeah!!!! You made it! Have fun at the fishmarket tomorrow!

  2. I'm glad you guys made it there safely! I can't wait to read about all of your adventures. :)

  3. How is your Japanese? Can't wait to read the next installment.

  4. What adventures you are having! I loved reading your blog and laughed so hard reading it!! Please don't starve!

    cody and I survived one day and one night alone!!

    Keep having a great time!! Love Mom Rubin

  5. Funny, last night I ate Japanese in the most expensive place I have ever been in at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando. I had great sashimi, but there it ended. Hope yours is much better. On the other hand, I did put the Wasabi in my drink!!! Dad Rubin PS your mother is posting using my google account.

    Cody is doing fine, but at the rate he is getting hold of socks and underwhere, we are going to be going to Kohls sooner rather than later. And now that your mother took care of him alone last night, both are adapting.

  6. That was "I did NOT put the Wasabi in my drink!!!